From The Good Housekeeping Housekeeping Book, 1947
Cleaning the Bedrooms
Daily Care of Bedrooms:
- Hang up night clothes and put away slippers.
- Make the beds.
- Straighten up the bureau, chest of drawers and vanity top. Dust if necessary.
- At least once between weekly cleanings use your vacuum cleaner and attachments for removing dust or, lacking these, use a push broom, dust mop, dustpan and duster.
- Bring in fresh sheets and pillowcases and make beds.
- Remove fittings from top of bureau, chest of drawers and vanity, and remove dresser scarves which need laundering. Keep fittings on the bed until furniture has been dusted and polished.
- Dust mirrors, pictures, lighting fixtures and lamps, and wash any of these if they need it.
- Clean soil from window sills, and areas around door knobs if necessary.
- Dust radiator covers and radiators, if necessary.
- Clean bare floor and rug or carpet.
- Clean closets.
- Give final touches to room, spread out clean scarves and replace fittings.
- Empty waste basket.
Seasonal Care of Bedrooms:
- Clean or wash ceilings and walls.
- Wash and wax Venetian blinds or clean window shades.
- Wash woodwork.
- Take down glass curtains and draperies for washing or dry-cleaning.
- Thoroughly clean radiators (covers and coils) or registers.
- Clean and polish wood floors.
- Clean surface of rugs or carpets or send out for cleaning.
- Collect dressing-table skirts, quilts, blankets and slipcovers for washing or dry-cleaning.
- Clean upholstered furniture.
- Clean mattress and bedspring with vacuum cleaner attachment.
- Clean or wash lamp shades.